Tips & Tricks
Tips and Tricks
There are a lot of tips and tricks on how to get your Portal submission to be accepted, some of these will be repetitive with what was included in the Portal Criteria.
- How to increase the chances your new Portal candidate is accepted
- Include a description: we verify them and then will use the information to determine whether the candidate meets the acceptance criteria.
- Take a clear photo: the easier it is to see what you’re submitting (i.e., a photo taken during the day at a reasonable distance and that gives an idea for the scale and placement), the easier it can be evaluated. In addition, a low-quality photo (e.g., pitch black/blurry photos or photos taken from a car) may cause a candidate that otherwise meets the Portal criteria to be rejected.
- Provide a detailed title: helps us verify whether the candidate meets any acceptance criteria (this is much more difficult to do with titles like “Historic Building” or “Street Art”); if possible, use the subject’s official title.
- Before submitting, ensure the location pin is correct. if it’s submitted in the wrong spot and we’re not able to find the right spot, even if it appears to meet the acceptance criteria, it may not be accepted.
- Guidelines for Portal titles
- Titles may be submitted in any language
- Where there is no “official” title for the Portal (i.e., fountains and statues without names), we welcome creative titles to distinguish the candidate Portal from other similar Portals
- Please do not include real names, codenames, faction or group names in titles
- Please do not include HTML in Portal titles
- Note: We cannot accept title or description edits for historical markers. Please direct these edits to hmbd.org
- Guidelines for Portal descriptions
- The “Description” field on candidate Portal submissions may be used to populate the More info >> link from the Portal details page on your Scanner.
- While not required, if you choose to enter a description for your candidate Portal, please include detailed information that other players might find interesting about the Portal; for example, interesting facts about the art or building, historical significance, etc. You can also use the description to tell why the Portal is unique, historical or significant.
- Descriptions may be submitted in any language.
- Please do not include HTML in Portal descriptions.
- Please do not include URLs in Portal descriptions.
- Please keep our Terms of Service in mind when providing descriptions.