Portal Criteria Includes:
- A LOCATION WITH A COOL STORY, A PLACE IN HISTORY OR EDUCATIONAL VALUE
- Interesting story behind the location/object
- Historical significance (apart from just being old)
- A COOL PIECE OF ART OR UNIQUE ARCHITECTURE
- Statues, paintings, mosaics, light installations, etc.
- Venues that showcase fine art (e.g., performance art theaters and museums)
- Buildings designed by renowned architects/structures famous specifically for their architecture
- A HIDDEN GEM OR HYPER-LOCAL SPOT
- A popular local spot that you would take a friend visiting your community for the first time
- A popular spot where locals gather, but may be lesser-known outside the community
- Tourist spots that showcase local flavor and culture and that make your city/neighborhood unique
- More off-the-beaten-path tourist attractions (i.e., if you weren’t a local, you wouldn’t necessarily know to go here)
- Adventurous tourist attractions – think lookout towers, observatories, signs or markers atop mountain peaks, etc.
In addition to the above acceptance criteria there is also a desire to have candidates that offer an acknowledgement or networking opportunity.
- PUBLIC LIBRARIES
- A nod to education and discovery, cornerstones of Niantic & Ingress
- Includes little free libraries, provided they are not on private residential property; does not include mobile libraries
- PUBLIC PLACES OF WORSHIP
- A nod to the otherworldly, which is integral to the story of Ingress
The Portal submission should NOT be or include any of the following:
- Candidates in locations with NO SAFE PEDESTRIAN ACCESS.
- Candidates of PEOPLE, BODY PARTS, LIVE ANIMALS, etc.; please, just don’t.
- Candidates that are NATURAL FEATURES (Includes pictures of landscapes as well as submissions where the subject is a lake, river, stream, mountain, volcano, waterfall, etc.; does not include man-made points of interest – plaques, signs, etc. – near natural features).
- Candidates that are NOT PERMANENT, including SEASONAL DISPLAYS that are only put up during certain times of the year.
- Candidates submitted with a PHOTO THAT YOU DID NOT TAKE YOURSELF (i.e., pulled from a third-party source); these will be rejected even if the candidate itself meets acceptance criteria or is on the list of things we generally accept.
- Candidates on PRIVATE RESIDENTIAL PROPERTY (including farms)
- Candidates that may interfere with the operations of FIRE STATIONS, POLICE STATIONS AND HOSPITALS
- Candidates on the grounds of PRIMARY/SECONDARY SCHOOLS